As we all know Lightning has been added to Salesforce very recently and it is the future of Salesforce. So a lot of people who are new to Lightning but have the curiosity to learn it sometimes find it difficult to understand.I realized that the best way to start would be by describing what are the differences between Salesforce Lightning Design System and Salesforce Lightning Components Framework. So in this blog, I will try to explain what are the major differences between Salesforce Lightning Design System and Salesforce Lightning Components Framework and hopefully, it will clear out most of the doubts that a new developer is having regarding The Lightning Framework.
Introduction to Salesforce Lightning Design System
It is a CSS framework which is used for creating dynamic web apps. By Using SLDS We can make our apps responsive and can also provide Look and feel similar to the Lightning Experience.
Steps to install the SLDS Unmanaged Packaged: For using SLDS in our Salesforce org. First We need to install the Latest Salesforce Lightning Design System unmanaged packaged as a static resource zip file.
- Log into your Developer Org.
- Open the Salesforce Lightning Design System in a Separate Window.
- Go to the Download Section.
- Click on the latest unmanaged package
- Now click on Install it.
After Completing the above steps the package will get installed into your org.
Benefits of using Salesforce Lightning Design System:
- By using SLDS it’s easier to build apps which are responsive and also have the look and feel similar to Lightning Experience.
- It is compatible with multiple browsers like Google Chrome, Latest Mozilla Firefox, Latest Safari Latest Internet Explorer 11 and above.
- It provides a robust grid system because of which It is easier to build responsive layouts that work elegantly across different screen sizes.
- The CSS is fully namespaced with the slds- prefix to avoid CSS conflicts.
Introduction To Lightning Components Framework
It is built using Open Source Aura Framework. By Using Aura Framework We can build apps completely independent of the Data present in our Salesforce org.
Benefits Of Lightning Components Framework:
- It provides an out-of-the-box set of components for building apps
- When we use Lightning Components Framework We do not need to worry about the optimization of our apps for different devices as Components take care of that by themselves.
- It uses an Event Driven architecture which enhances the decoupling Between components.
- It supports the latest browser technology such as HTML5, CSS3.
Use Of Developer Console:
The Developer Console provides us the tools which are Used for developing Components and applications. By Using Developer Console We can perform the following functions
- We need to use File option for either creating or opening the following Lightning Resources:
- We need to use the sidebar to create or open client-side resource.
Differences Between SLDS and Aura
- First of all Salesforce Lightning Design System is a CSS-based framework.
- Used for creating dynamic apps while on the other hand Lightning Components Framework uses aura components for creating the dynamic apps.
- In the case of Lightning Components Framework, We need to write two Controllers one for client side and the other one for server side. while in the case of Salesforce Lightning Design System we need to write only one controller which will be a server side controller.
- Lightning Components Framework is client-side centric while Salesforce Lightning Design System are server-side centric.
- Because Lightning Components are client side centric therefore they are better.
- Equipped for creating dynamic web apps then Salesforce Lightning Design System.
- As mentioned above Lightning Components are client side centric therefore they are more mobile friendly as compared to the Salesforce Lightning Design System(SLDS).